Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Wool for oil spill clean-up

When an oil spill needs to be cleaned up, like the recent spill in the Gulf of Mexico, one might want to employ some sheep, more specifically their wool, to do the job.

For many years, wool has been used to create oil-absorbent products that can clean a variety of spills more effectively than its synthetic counterparts.  In tests done in the mid-1990's, it was found that wool can absorb 10 to 30 times its weight in oil while repelling water.

Wool clean-up products are made of low-grade wool that comes from bellies, tags, or overall lower quality fleeces, giving producers more value for their wool clip.

Source:  Sheep Industry News, July 2010.

Matter of Trust is a charity that accepts donations of wool, hair, fur, and other fibers for ecological projects, such as the oil spill in the Gulf.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks. It helped me with my science project-wool is one of my fabrics to see which can absorb the most liquid and there are 3 types of liquid.

Anonymous said...

Thanks. It helped me with my science project-wool is one of my fabrics to see which can absorb the most liquid and there are 3 types of liquid.